If you love spending time improving your home and garden, you’ve come to the right place. Simply continue reading to discover a wide array of clever home and garden hacks.
Home and Garden Tips:
1. Don’t use fresh manure in your compost – One mistake which a lot of gardeners make is using fresh manure in their compost. Fresh manure has too much nitrogen, which can burn your plants. Instead, if you want to use manure in your compost, make sure that it has been cured for at least six months. Another reason why it’s worth waiting six months to use manure in your compost is that fresh manure often contains parasites, which can infect humans.
2. Try growing cool-season vegetables in the shade – While the bulk of vegetables thrive if they get at least eight hours of direct sunlight, if part of your vegetable garden is located in the shade, you can use it to grow lettuce, spinach, radishes, and cabbage. All of which can be grown in the shade.
3. Plant your spring bulbs in fall – Ideally, you should aim to plant your spring bulbs such as tulips, daffodils, and hyacinths in your soil in fall, before your soil starts to freeze, during the cold winter months. As you’ll have a far greater chance of your flowers blooming in early spring as a result.
4. Remove flower stalks from your rhubarb plant – In order to encourage your rhubarb to grow, make sure to remove any flower stalks as you don’t want your rhubarb plants to waste unnecessary energy on growing seeds, which you don’t need or want.
5. Try to make an effort to buy organic gardening products – As an example, you’ll find that your plants thrive if you opt to use organic soil and fertilizers.
6. Paint your light switches with a dab of glow in the dark paint – If you want to easily be able to locate your light switches in the dark, simply paint a dab of glow in the dark paint on each of your light switches. That way, you’ll never have to fumble around in the dark to turn on your bedroom light, to go to the bathroom or to get a glass of water again.
7. Measure and cut out rubber mesh to place under the pillows on your dining room chairs – If you’re sick of the pillows on your dining room chairs slipping around, you can easily solve your problem by measuring and cutting out rubber mesh to place under each cushion.
8. Install a second higher shower curtain rod above your shower to hang your towels from – If you have the type of shower which features a curtain rod, it’s a smart idea to install a second shower curtain rod above the original rod, which you can use to hang your towels from. This is a great idea if you have a small bathroom or your towel rack is located too far from your shower or bath.
So there you have it, 8 clever home and garden hacks which will help make your life a whole lot easier!